Pharmacy Technician Programme - Level 5
Launching for the first time in Hamilton! Enrolling now for July/August in Auckland, Hamilton & Christchurch
The Pharmacy industry is dynamic and exciting and there are loads of jobs out there for qualified Pharmacy Technicians. Our graduates are in high demand with 88% currently working in the industry.
Our Pharmacy Technician Programme teaches you all of the necessary skills and pharmaceutical knowledge to start your career. Our course encompasses classroom and practical learning with extensive work placement in the pharmacy industry.
Professionalism and Support
You will gain a basic understanding of the communication skills appropriate to pharmacy and will be able to apply professional ethics. This module also covers inventory systems and the wider aspects of a pharmacy support role.
Pharmacy law and dispensing processes
This module teaches legislation, codes and standards which govern pharmacy practice. We will teach you how to accurately dispense prescriptions and safely fill pharmaceutical orders under the supervision of a pharmacist.
You will learn about the routes of administration and the formulations of medicines. The module will also cover over-the-counter medicines available in New Zealand and how these should be taken.
Advanced dispensing techniques
You will learn how to read a prescription and ensure patients receive the correct dispensed medications. You will also be taught about the different forms of compliance packaging and how to prepare prescriptions using this packaging.
This module covers ward stock management. You will learn the theory of compounding aseptic products and parenteral nutrition, the reasons for it and the different nutritional requirements of patients.
Anatomy and physiology
You will learn how the different body systems work, their disorders and how medicines work and affect body systems including drug dosing and interactions.
Throughout your programme of study you will undertake dispensary work experience with some of the leading pharmacies in New Zealand.
Get more info
- Community Pharmacy Technician
- Hospital Pharmacy Technician
- Manufacturing Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmaceutical Representative
- Management roles in the pharmaceutical industry
2017 Intake Dates
- 24 July (Auckland, Christchurch)
- 21 August (Hamilton)
72 weeks including 12 weeks of holiday
This course is offered at our Wakefield Street (Auckland) Hamilton and Christchurch campuses.
- Year 12-13 academic achievement or complementary tertiary qualification, or demonstration of equivalent skills and knowledge.
- Applicants whose first language is not English may require an IELTS score of 6, with no band score lower than 5.5.
Note: All applicants will be given a pre-entry assessment and interview to assist with planning their studies.
Tuition fees: $36,000.00*
Compulsory course costs: $280.00
*$18,000.00 per year.
- NZ Certificate in Pharmacy Technician - Level 5
- NZ Certificate in Pharmacy Technician - Level 4
- NZ Certificate in Pharmacy (Introduction to Pharmacy Practice) - Level 3